. . . . .  and there we were   !

Firearms import South Africa

Please visit GunPros, The 4 Universal Gun Safety Rules

 Click here for South African temporary firearm import permits 

 Click here for Instructions to complete temporary import application

All hunters temporarily exporting firearms for hunting purposes to South Africa and applying for a temporary import permit at the airport after arrival in South Africa (not a pre-issued permit), will need to have Proof of Export from the their country of origin.

  • Without this proof, the police will not issue the temporary import permit and will confiscate your firearm(s). 

UK Citizens:
UK Border Force has issued the following instructions for hunters not having a pre-issued permit for the RSA:
-              Email the UKBF Armoury Control on at least 2 weeks prior to your departure for the RSA:
Advise them that you will be travelling to South Africa for a game hunting safari.
                Request them to issue you with a letter/document that you may lawfully temporarily export your firearms and ammunition to South Africa.
                Scan and email copies of the following with the request:
-           Passport
-           Firearms licence – indicate exactly which rifles/shotguns you will take and the amount of ammunition you will be taking
-           Return flights and dates
•          Contact details: +44 (0) 20 8910 3721
US Citizens:
Current customs form 4457 is sufficient: Not older than 6 months


24 March 2017

The South African Police Services’ central firearms desk advised that they will no longer accept America’s Department of Homeland Security’s Certificate of Registration, commonly known as CBP Form 4457, if the date in the top right hand corner has expired.

The NEW CBP Form 4457, is available from Homeland Security’s official website

We wish to alert all hunters traveling to/through South Africa, to obtain a new Certificate of Registration listing their firearms, prior to leaving the United States of America. Other ports of entry elsewhere in the World may follow suit so make sure your 4457 is valid.

It is advised hunting clients to pre-apply, through a reputable, registered meet-and-greet agency, for temporary import/export firearm and/or transit permits. Although there is a small fee payable to these service providers, the peace of mind and time saved at the firearm permit office at OR Tambo International Airport, is well worth the effort.
Other Countries not issuing temporary export permits: Official affidavit or declaration from their police or customs authorizing them to temporarily exporting the specific firearms for hunting purposes to South Africa.